Thursday, December 3, 2015

2016 Reading List

This coming year, one of my goals in my reading is to read outside of my circle slightly more than what I have in previous years. The main reason for this is that I feel that I have grown enough in my convictions and understanding of Reformed Theology that I can now confidently read works of other authors who do not share my same beliefs, and accurately critique those views from a Reformed standpoint. I want to take some time to better study the arguments for Catholicism, Anglicanism, and Lutheranism in particular, so that I will be more able to critique them in a more accurate manner. I would also like to read some Eastern Orthodox works as well, but I'm not currently aware of any (Recommendations?). This year, I plan on writing many more book reviews and critiques than in previous years.

My goal for this year is to read one book per month, which will end up at twelve books for the year. Hopefully I can knock out some smaller books early so I can either start on some larger books that I will be reading, or sneak in some books that I hadn't planned on reading.

My list for this year is as so:

  1. The Liturgy Trap - James B. Jordan 
  2. The Baptized Body - Peter Leithart 
  3. Rules For Reformers - Douglas Wilson 
  4. Expository Apologetics - Voddie Baucham 
  5. Apologetics: A Justification of Christian Belief - John Frame 
  6. Rome Sweet Home - Scott Hahn 
  7. The Anglican Way - Thomas McKenzie 
  8. The Confessions of St. Augustine - Augustine 
  9. The Great Divide: A Lutheran Evaluation of Reformed Theology - Jordan Cooper 
  10. National Covenanting - Brian Schwertley 
  11. Christianity and Capitalism - R.J. Rushdoony 
  12. By What Standard - R.J. Rushdoony 
This year, my goals are deepen my understanding of liturgical worship, while further developing my understanding of Covenant Theology. I want to becoming even more well versed in Apologetics, which in turn will help me to be better equipped for critiquing views opposing my own in a more accurate manner. I want to look to the past in reading Augustine, and better understand where Presbyterians came from by reading Schwertley, and where they went by reading Rushdoony. In doing so, I feel that I will be better equipped to understand where we're going in the future. 

What are you reading this year? What are your reading goals? What books would you recommend? 

2 comments:

  1. I think I need a 5-year reading list :)
    Goals for 2016:
    1. The Westminster Assembly: Reading It's Theology in Historical Context
    2. Reformed Dogmatics (Herman Bavink - abridged version)
    3. Systematic Theology - John Frame
    4. Norms & Nobility: A Treatise on Education (David Hicks)
    5. Political Polytheism by Gary North
    6. The Federal Vision and Covenant Theology by Guy Waters
    etc., but we might be dipping into 2017 given Frame and Bavink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some major heavy reading, brother! Will be very edifying though.

    ReplyDelete